Nowadays yoga leggings are super trendy and almost like a fashion statement. However even though we are doing our body good by being active and healthy, we may not realize that we are harming our environment. As we have seen all over the news, we are in desperate times to save our planets! All it takes is being more conscious regarding global warming, and how we can take simple steps to start healing our earth. We can start by increasing demand in more Eco friendly products and stop buying harmful products.
See below why we should wear Eco friendly yoga leggings, and at the same time be comfortable and our beautiful selves.
A Kind Reminder Regarding How Our Environment Is Suffering
We all know what global warming is. But do we all remember exactly what is going on in our Earth? Let me remind you below regarding some of the biggest impacts on our planet that are happening:
- Our Ozone layer, which surrounds our Earth and protects us from the sun’s ultra-violet rays, is becoming depleted. This is mainly caused by chlorofluorocarbons (CFC’s), which are supposed to be banned since the Montreal Protocol in 1987. Thankfully the ozone has showed a major improvement, however even though CFC’s are banned, it seems that some parts of the world are still using it
- We are trashing our world with plastic – as you may know, plastic cannot degrade, so where does it end up? In our oceans…which has a detrimental effect on sea life. Not only are we harming their lives, but also when we are eating seafood, we are ingesting plastic. If plastic is burned, it also releases some very toxic chemicals into our atmosphere
- We are running out of water – many cities around the world start to have severe drought that can last for years (such as Capetown in South Africa). Approximately 2.1 billion people do not have access to clean water
- We are having more natural disasters – yes, you may argue that natural disasters are “natural”. That is true, however it is proven that climate change have made natural disasters much more intense and frequent. We are having much more floods than before, which are taking away many lives, and destroying our vegetation.
Materials Used In Regular Yoga Leggings
Did you know that regular yoga leggings are full of materials that are causing harm to our environment? Find below some of the main materials used in yoga wear:
- Polyester – made from petroleum. It requires a lot of energy and crude oil, thus releasing a lot of emissions in the air. On top of that, all the by-products from making polyester is released into our waste water. Enough said.
- Nylon – when producing nylon it releases nitrous oxide, which is one of the main contributors to global warming as it is 300 times stronger than carbon dioxide. It also requires a lot of water to create the fibers.
- Rayon/Viscose – rayon is actually made from plants…so we would think that it’s actually an Eco friendly product, right? Wrong… it involves some hardcore chemicals such as carbon disulfide and sodium hydroxide to break it down. All of these chemicals can harm the people making these fibers, as well as it pollutes the waterway and poison our communities.
What Exactly Are Eco Friendly Yoga Leggings?
Eco friendly yoga leggings can actually mean many things. Pretty much Eco friendly products try to minimize the usage of resources like water and energy and as well as not release too much waste into our environment. Here are some great ideas how some of the sustainable leggings companies try to make a difference by making their leggings out of:
- Recycled plastic bottles
- Recycled nylon
- Modal – it is made from Beech wood and uses less water than cotton
- Recycled cotton
*Please do keep in mind that the Eco friendly choices above are not 100% sustainable, however they do have a lot more advantages than using the regular materials.
Not only do these companies try to use sustainable materials, but they also try to contribute to their communities by donating to environmental non-profit organizations, for example such as the Global Sea Turtle Conservation! They also make sure to provide fair working conditions and wages to their employees, which a lot of these “fast fashion”companies do not.
Feel Glamorous, Comfortable & Happy To Be Making A Difference
Whether you are going out for a walk, grocery shopping, meeting some friends, or actually going for yoga, yoga leggings are extremely versatile.
They are so comfortable due to being stretchy as well as due to the material feeling against out skins. Yo leggings are tight, but not so tight to the point where it hurts when we are bloated (goodbye jeans!!). They also accentuate our curves, specially when wearing high waist yoga leggings!
Obviously one of the reasons to wear yoga pants are for working out. They are hygienic and absorb your sweat, so you don’t have to worry about any sweaty smells 🙂 As well as it is super easy to move, stretch, and breathe. This should motivate you to continue or start exercising wherever you may be.
There are various types of yoga leggings such as high waist, short, long, fold over etc. No matter our body shape we can find one that fits our body perfectly. If you want to go out grocery shopping, you can just throw on a nice t-shirt and you can look flattering in seconds. Also, High waist yoga pants goes really well with crop tops too. As you may know already, there are various combinations and outfits that you can create with just basic yoga leggings.
Care About Our Home, Others, And Ourselves
Next time you wish to buy yoga pants, take a minute to consider where the yoga pants are made, what materials are being used, who are making them, and if we are contributing to “fast fashion”. It’s never too late to change our mindset and our habits. Sometimes it just takes simple steps to make a difference.
Just remember that by wearing Eco friendly yoga leggings, we can contribute to protecting our environment and at the same time we can feel more confident and beautiful in our own bodies.